SAN MATEO (CBS/AP) — Prosecutors have filed charges against the man accused of assaulting a 9-year-old girl at a San Mateo school before kidnapping her.
Twenty-five-year-old Bradley Mrozek appeared in court on Tuesday, but did not enter a plea. He is facing felony kidnapping and child molestation charges.
Authorities say Mrozek came up behind the girl while she was washing her hands in a restroom at Parkside Elementary, groped her and put his hand over her mouth. He then allegedly carried her off campus.
The girl had left her classroom to go to the bathroom. Authorities say she managed to escape and run back to campus after walking with Mrozek two blocks to a house.
Mrozek is also facing charges that he verbally harassed two 12-year-old girls and gave vodka to two boys at another San Mateo school earlier in the day.
Anthony Miller, who has a child attending Parkside Elementary, attended a Wednesday safety meeting called by the San Mateo-Foster City School District.
KCBS’ Doug Sovern Reports:
The parents of the victim spoke at the meeting, which was not open to the media. Parents remained anxious after the meeting.
“To have this false sense of security and now that the realization has come about that it’s not as safe as I thought is scary,” said Miller.
Parents are upset they weren’t notified sooner about the two earlier incidents and that Mrozek was able to wander into Parkside undetected.
Assistant Superintendent Molly Barton admitted security was too lax. “We don’t ask every parent to come in and get a badge, it’s hundreds of people and that’s when this took place,” she said.
Under new security provisions at Parkside, parents must now wait outside security gates.
(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)