NorCal Man Dies From Flesh-Eating Bacteria Infection

REDDING, Shasta County (CBS/AP) — A 36-year-old Northern California man infected with a rare, flesh-eating bacteria has died.

Shasta Regional Medical Center spokeswoman Karen Hoyt said the man died at the Redding hospital on Sunday. She declined further comment to the Record Searchlight of Redding, citing patient confidentiality.

The newspaper reported that Shasta County public health officials confirmed the death on Thursday although they did not say how the man became infected with necrotizing fasciitis.

The disease is caused when a deadly bacteria germ spreads a tissue-killing toxin after invading the body, typically through a minor cut.

Shasta County Public Health Officer Andrew Deckert said the county has probably had a few other cases in the past, but none he can recall that were reported.



(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live