Burlingame Hotel Evacuated Over Carbon Monoxide Leak

BURLINGAME (KCBS) — The Embassy Suites Hotel in Burlingame was evacuated early Thursday morning after a carbon monoxide leak was discovered.

About 500 guests of the fully-booked hotel woke up to evacuations alarm just after 12:30 a.m. due to the discovery of high levels of carbon monoxide that fire crews were able to trace to a pool and spa boiler.

“I got up thinking it was a prank and looked around for some hoodlums to stir up and maybe give them some grief,” Jim Heller, a hotel guest said. “Then I looked outside and saw there was first responders with flashlights shinning at us.”

The faulty boiler was taken off-line and the building was ventilated. Guests were let back in the hotel around 5 a.m starting with those who had to catch early flights.

KCBS’ Holly Quan:

Burlingame Fire Chief Dornell said the incident underscored the need for carbon monoxide detectors.

“People need to make sure that you go to the hardware store and you buy a smoke and carbon monoxide detector and put it in your own home because carbon monoxide will kill people and it has in the past.” he said.

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

More from Holly Quan

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live