SAN PABLO (CBS SF) — An unattended cigarette led to a fire that damaged a San Pablo apartment and left a dog inside the building unconscious.

Fire crews responded around 5:20 p.m. Tuesday to reports of a blaze at a small apartment building at 1320 Road 20 in San Pablo, Fire Battalion Chief Bryan Craig said.

Crews arriving on the scene spotted smoke coming from a broken-out upstairs apartment window.

A maintenance worker at the apartment had extinguished the fire before crews arrived, Craig said.

Crews remained on the scene to clean up extensive damage throughout the building caused by the fire.

Fire personnel also rescued a dog suffering from smoke inhalation that was found unconscious inside the apartment building, according to the battalion chief.

An emergency medical technician administered oxygen to the dog, which is expected to make a full recovery.

Fire investigators interviewed the resident of the apartment where the fire occurred, who said that she had left an unattended cigarette burning on a couch.

No firefighters or residents were injured.

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE