kpix-7-2013-masthead kcbs 7-2013-masthead

Local

NorCal Woman Banned From Care Facilities After Making Poisonous Soup

View Comments
Mushrooms

Two people at a Placer County elderly-care facility died from eating wild mushrooms in soup. (CBS)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

LOOMIS, Placer County (CBS / AP) — A California woman who served poisonous mushrooms to residents of an elder-care home has been barred from working in such facilities.

The Department of Social Services said Thursday that Lilia Tirdea of Citrus Heights can no longer work in licensed care facilities. She has 15 days to appeal the decision.

The department said the owner of the Golden Age Villa had told Tirdea to serve only store-bought food.

Tirdea told investigators she didn’t know the mushrooms she found growing in the backyard of the Loomis facility were poisonous. Four people died, and Tirdea and another resident fell ill after eating soup she made from the fungi.

Tirdea could not immediately be reached for comment. The report said she still is ill and hasn’t returned to work since the Nov. 8 incident.

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 53,835 other followers