Tony’s Table: Shrimp with Garlic and Calabrian Chilies
Gamberetti con Aglio e Peperoncini Calabresi
(Shrimp with Garlic and Calabrian Chilies)
Recipe from District Oakland Chef Bob Cina
Serves 2 as main course or 4-6 as an appetizer
20-24 pieces 21/25 count shrimp -deveined with shell left on
the size is important in relation to cooking time, better to go smaller if needed
2 Tbl Calabrian chili oil – the chilis are sold packed in oil at most Italian specialty stores
½ C extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp salt
10 cloves garlic sliced
10 Calabrian chilis – cleaned of seeds and stem, sliced 1/8 inch thick
leave seeds for more desired spicyness
¼ C parsley leaves – washed & dried
1 tsp lemon zest – kept in wet paper towel
¼ C fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 lemon cut in wedges
your favorite Italian loaf or baguette
- After shrimp are deveined with the shell still on, split them almost all the way through from the back to the legs, unfold so the back of the shrimp is open with flesh exposed and sprinkle with 1 ½ tsp of salt evenly, drizzle with chili oil and allow to marinate for 5 minutes.
- Heat a medium size (preferably oval for presentation later mentioned) skillet over medium high heat, being careful not to let the skillet get so hot it smokes.
- When skillet is hot, add oil and immediately add garlic and chilis.
- Just before garlic starts to turn brown, add the shrimp and cook for about 1 minute stirring slowly so hot oil coats every side.
- Turn heat off and quickly add parsley leaves and stir in which will fry immediately in the hot oil.
- Add lemon zest & remaining salt and stir in well to evenly distribute flavor.
- Serve to table in the skillet on a plate lined with a folded serving napkin or on hot plate liner.
- Accompany with a few lemon wedges and some fresh cut Italian bread for dipping.