HALF MOON BAY (CBS SF) – Organizers of the world-renowned Mavericks Invitational Surf contest decided Wednesday that conditions are right to hold the contest this weekend.
Contest organizers have been studying an approaching swell that bodes well for creating contest conditions, contest founder Jeff Clark said. The event is now set for an 8 a.m. start on Sunday.
“The waves are going to be insane, the weather is going to be beautiful, and the level of surfing will break new ground,” said Clark in a statement released Wednesday confirming the event for this Sunday.
Related Link: Jeff Clark Talks About The Thrill Of Surfing Mavericks
Exactly 24 of the most skilled surfers from around the world have been selected to participate in the big-wave surfing contest, which takes place one half mile off the coast of Half Moon Bay at the Mavericks break.
Contest conditions are extreme, with waves in past years as high as 50 feet, strong currents, frigid water and jagged rocks. Contestants are given just 24 hours’ notice to arrive to the coast ready to compete.
The contest was canceled last year because Mother Nature failed to produce perfect conditions, Clark said.
“We’re really excited that we actually have a swell,” Clark said of this year’s conditions. “This is the biggest swell we’ve had for a couple years.”
When asked how high the waves could be from this swell, Clark immediately responded “big.”
“We’re hoping for at least 30-foot range, but the ocean does what it wants and it’s not going to give you that perfect storm every year,” he said.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)