SAN JOSE (KCBS) – The San Jose Police Department said a mother, who claimed that a man had attempted to kidnap her three-year-old daughter on Tuesday, made the story up.
Police said that, as they continued to investigate the case, a second interview with the alleged victim’s mother on Thursday led to her admitting to fabricating the attempted abduction.
On January 15, the department received a call reporting a stranger in the area who attempted to kidnap a toddler on the 2000 block of Dayo Court in East San Jose. When police arrived on scene, the suspect had already fled the area.
The mother told investigators that her daughter was playing in front of their house when the stranger approached on foot. She explained that, after picking her daughter up, the stranger grabbed the girl’s legs and tried to pull her away from her. She was able to pull her daughter free and ran inside to call police.
Following the incident, investigators canvassed the neighborhood for any possible video evidence or witnesses to the crime, also releasing a sketch of the suspect.
Police said the investigation is ongoing and will be reviewed by the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office. It’s still unclear if the mother will face charges of false reporting of a criminal offense.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)