Watsonville Man Using Charcoal BBQ For Heat Dies Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

WATSONVILLE (CBS SF) — A 21-year-old man was found dead of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning from indoor use of a charcoal-burning barbecue grill late Wednesday night in Watsonville, according to police.

Police officers, fire crews and paramedics responded to a home on Jeanette Way, located near San Tomas Way, at 10:15 p.m. on a report of a man who was not breathing.

When paramedics arrived at the home, they found the victim in a detached bedroom toward the rear of the residence. Paramedics found the victim deceased in his bed, according to police.

A police and fire investigation revealed that the deceased victim and a second 21-year-old man, who shared the same bedroom, had brought a small charcoal-barbecue grill into the bedroom for heat.

Paramedics said the first man died during the night and the second man survived, but appears to be a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The surviving victim was transported to a local hospital for treatment, police said.

An autopsy will be performed on the deceased victim to determine the exact cause of his death, but carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, according to police.

Watsonville police urge residents to be careful when heating their homes and to steer clear of devices not intended for that purpose.

Police said these devices may release carbon monoxide, an odorless, invisible gas that can cause deaths within minutes.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

 

Comments

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live