SUNNYVALE (CBS SF) — A lockdown of three Sunnyvale schools Friday was lifted after a report a gunman nearby turned out to be a hoax, police said.
The city’s website has a statement posted at 11:48 a.m. that said Homestead High School, Cupertino Middle School and West Valley Elementary School were locked down.
At 12:35 p.m. a post on the city’s Twitter page indicated the suspect search was ending after officials determined the student who reported seeing a man with a gun admitted to making it up.
The search had been concentrated in the area between Homestead Road, South Bernardo Avenue, Helena Drive and Wright Avenue.
The statement said Cupertino Middle School, which was within the search area, was in “code red” mode while the other two schools are “code blue,” meaning they were only locked down as a precaution.
Streets were blocked off in the area during the search, officials said.
Schools around the nation have been taking extra precautions to safeguard students since 20 elementary schoolers were shot to death in Newtown, Conn. last month.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)