kpix-7-2013-masthead kcbs 7-2013-masthead

Local

Hot Water Heater Sparks Fire In Oakland Home

View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

OAKLAND (CBS SF) — A fire destroyed the back and roof of a house in East Oakland Friday night, sending the family of four who live there to temporary housing provided by the Red Cross, a fire battalion chief said.

The home near the corner of 63rd and Bancroft avenues caught fire at about 6:30 p.m., Battalion Chief Jenny Ray said.

The fire was caused by a problem with the hot water heater, which was on the enclosed back porch, Ray said.

Oakland fire called a single-alarm response, and had the fire under control within about 15 minutes.

There were three family members home when the fire broke out, and all managed to escape unharmed. No firefighters were injured.

The three family members are being assisted by the Red Cross as the back of the house and roof were completely destroyed by flames and the home is uninhabitable for now, Ray said.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus