Shiny Dog Bowl Blamed In Santa Rosa Fire

SANTA ROSA (CBS SF) – A dog’s water bowl was being blamed for starting a fire at its owner’s Santa Rosa home, according to fire officials.

North Bay firefighters called it is one of the most unusual fire calls they’ve ever had.

Perry and Shay Weisbrich said they had to call 9-1-1 after their dog Toby’s metal bowl reflected a concentrated beam of sunlight onto the side of their house — a beam so powerful, the wood started to burn.

“I just looked outside a minute and saw what i thought was steam.” said Shay Weisbrich. “A big plume of it through the glass door.. So I went over there thinking, ‘that’s not right, not normal.’ And it was smoke!”

The Bennett Valley Fire Department responded before the fire got out of control.

As for Toby, the Weisbrichs said he’s getting a new dish: a plastic bowl.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

  • Dog Bowl Starts Fire At California Home

    […] deck. To make sure this sort of thing didn’t happen again, the couple decided to purchase a new plastic bowl that wouldn’t refract the […]

  • Do Gooder Press - Monday round of news and “news.”

    […] • That’s no dog bowl, that’s a fire-making time bomb (if the weather’s sunny)! […]

  • http://THECLEVELANDREPORT.COM/unusual-fire-dog-bowl-sparks-flames/ Unusual Fire: Dog Bowl Sparks Flames | The Cleveland Report

    […] KPIX reported a family put water in a dog bowl outside for their pet. […]

  • Happy days: Here again?; DIY Vdara Death Ray | Stiffs and Georges

    […] own, domestic version of the Vdara Death Ray as this California couple in the city of Santa Rosa learned the hard way. Fortunately, no one was harmed — human or […]

  • For class April 13 | monkeypuzzletree22
  • The Blame Game Burns Me Up | jaytharding

    […] I have just raised my head from reading a story that drew my attention (I like to read with my head down because I don’t want to appear snooty to the casual observer): […]

  • Dog Overheating Prevention: Just Add Water

    […] year a bizarre event happened in California, a shiny dog bowl, reflecting the sun’s rays, started a house fire. With that rarity in mind, I offer non-reflective options for outdoor […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Guide To The Holidays
Shine A Light On The Holiday Season With ‘Giving Tuesday’

Listen Live