Not Guilty Pleas In SF Mission District Triple Shooting Case
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Three men arrested for a triple shooting in San Francisco’s Mission District earlier this week pleaded not guilty Thursday to attempted murder charges.
Larry Carr, 34, Jason Whittenburg, 30, and George Vickers, 33, each pleaded not guilty to three counts of attempted murder, three counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of attempted robbery for the shooting around 3:50 a.m. Tuesday near Mission and 16th streets.
The trio drove up to the three victims, tried to rob them, then shot them, police said.
One of the victims, a 46-year-old man, was shot in the torso and suffered life-threatening injuries. The other two victims, men ages 40 and 47, were both shot in the leg and are expected to survive, police said.
The suspects fled in a black Mercedes that officers later spotted in the city’s Bayview District near Third Street and Gilman Avenue.
A short pursuit ended at Cameron and Nichols ways, where the suspect vehicle crashed into parked cars, then backed into a patrol car. An officer was injured in the crash and was taken to a hospital with injuries not considered life-threatening, according to police.
Whittenburg, who was allegedly driving the car, was also charged with four counts of assault with a deadly weapon against a police officer and for felony evading arrest, while Carr was charged with various firearm offenses, district attorney’s office spokesman Alex Bastian said.
Carr also has a previous arrest for a 2004 homicide in San Francisco, but that case was discharged pending further investigation, Bastian said.
Police believe that Carr shot and killed Richard Banks on Sept. 30, 2004, during an attempted robbery in the 100 block of Sixth Street, according to a crime bulletin issued by the department in the months after the death.
Carr also has convictions for a 1999 domestic violence case and a 2010 evading police case, while Vickers was convicted for an attempted robbery in 2000 and Whittenburg was convicted of residential burglary, Bastian said.
All three were ordered held Thursday on $1 million bail each with parole holds that prevent their immediate release.
The trio will return to court on June 20 for a hearing on the status of evidence in the case.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)