SF Dog Owners Warned Over Possibly Poisoned Meatballs Left On Streets
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — San Francisco police said two dogs had to go to the emergency room after ingesting possibly poisoned meatballs in the city’s Twin Peaks and Diamond Heights neighborhoods.
Police said a number of poisoned meatballs were found along streets in that area, and warned dog owners to be careful.
On Wednesday, about 8:30 a.m., a dog ingested one of the cooked meatballs while being walked by its owner, police said. The dog became very sick and was taken to a veterinarian for treatment.
Dorothy Schechter was out for a walk when she noticed her dachshund Oskar picked something up off the street. She said as soon as they got home, he got ill.
“The next thing we know, he started to seize and his back went up. I grabbed him and went to the vet.”
The vet, Dr. Carrie Jurney, said what Oskar had picked up was a meatball laced with the poison strychnine and is warning other dog owners in the neighborhood. “The most important thing this weekend is to keep your dog on a leash. We have a great off-leash dog community in San Francisco, but this weekend, with this going on, it’s not the time,” Jurney said.
Dr. Jurney said she expects Oskar, who was in an induced coma, to survive.
The dog’s owner and neighbors collected other meatballs from the streets, and police said it appears they contain a poisonous substance. Tests were under way to determine the nature of the substance.
Another dog was also sickened by the meatballs, according to police.
Police said dog owners in the area of Crestline Drive and Burnett Avenue should be especially cautious.
Anyone with information on the case is asked to call the Police Department’s anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or text a tip to TIP411 with “SFPD” in the beginning of the message.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)