HAYWARD (KCBS) – Firefighters were called to the scene of a carport fire in Hayward early Friday morning, where more than half a dozen vehicles were damaged by flames by a man allegedly siphoning gas while smoking.
The fire was reported shortly before 3:30 a.m. at 22270 Montgomery St. Firefighters arrived at the 8-unit, 2-story apartment building to find cars engulfed in flames and neighbors describing a fire that was spreading unusually quickly.
“Oh yeah, within five minutes,” explained a couple who lost their sport utility vehicle in the fire. “I don’t know if that’s normal because we’ve never seen anything like that. But within five minutes, four or five cars were engulfed.”