(KCBS) – Recently, poisonous meatballs were discovered in several San Francisco neighborhoods. Obviously, it was a major problem and of concern for owners of dogs and cats.

“Yeah, this is really terrible,” said Jennifer Scarlett, DVM, co-president of the San Francisco SPCA. “Back in July, hundreds of meatballs laced with strychnine were found throughout San Francisco parks, places where dogs frequent the most. And law enforcement officials believe that they were deliberately placed to poison dogs.”

“And,” she continued, “it worked. Many dogs were poisoned and one dog was confirmed to die from strychnine poisoning.”

“Be very vigilant. Keep them on leash or definitely within your sight,” Scarlett advised dog owners. “And remember that strychnine is not a discriminate poison. It will kill any wildlife or animal that ingests it so if you see something suspicious, please mark it and notify that San Francisco police.”

If you suspect your pet has ingested strychnine, Scarlett stresses that you need to act quickly, since the substance is immediately absorbed in the GI tract and signs of poisoning can present themselves within minutes to several hours; muscle tremors or seizure activity, for instance, is indicative of strychnine poisoning.

If your dog has ingested strychnine, or if you simply suspect as much, contact your veterinarian immediately.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE