kpix-7-2013-masthead kcbs 7-2013-masthead

Local

Bomb Threat Leads To Evacuation Of Superior Court Buildings In San Jose

View Comments
Police Sirens

(Getty Images)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

SAN JOSE (CBS SF) – Employees at two Santa Clara County Superior Court buildings in San Jose have been allowed to go back to work after a bomb threat that prompted evacuations Thursday morning was determined to be without merit.

Santa Clara County sheriff’s deputies responded to a report that a bomb threat had been called in to the court administration building at 111 W. St. John St. at about 9:40 a.m., sheriff’s Deputy Kurtis Stenderup said.

The threat caused the evacuation of the administration building as authorities scoured the building for any suspicious packages, Stenderup said.

The Family Courthouse at 170 Park Ave., about half a mile from the administration building, was also evacuated, according to the court’s Twitter feed.

The court tweeted at 12:32 p.m. that a suspicious package had been found in the Family Courthouse and that a bomb squad was examining it.

A tweet at 12:50 p.m. stated that employees had been allowed back into the administration building after the bomb squad gave the building the all-clear.

A few minutes later, the court tweeted that the evacuation order at the Family Courthouse had also been lifted.

Afternoon hearings at the Family Courthouse have been canceled, but all other court operations have resumed, court spokesman Joe Macaluso said.

No other courtrooms were affected.

Streets in the area were shut down during the incident.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 53,947 other followers