2nd Suspect In Dodger Fan’s Fatal Stabbing Released
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS/AP) – San Francisco police say a second suspect has been released in connection with the fatal stabbing of a Los Angeles Dodgers fan.
Sgt. Danielle Newman said Friday that the suspect, whose name is not being released, was freed after being questioned in the death of 24-year-old Jonathan Denver of Fort Bragg.
Police say Denver was walking with his father, brother and two other people not far from AT&T Park late Wednesday when their group exchanged words with some Giants fans.
The exchange turned physical and Denver, who was wearing Dodgers gear, was stabbed to death.
Police arrested 21-year-old Michael Montgomery of Lodi, on suspicion of murder on Thursday. He is currently being held in jail without bail.
Reports surfaced following the arrest that Montgomery claimed he had been acting in self-defense.
“I can’t get into what the conversation was in the investigation, but everyone who admits a crime usually has a rationale,” San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr told KPIX 5 Friday.
On Friday, Denver’s relatives addressed the self-defense claim in a statement which included the following:
“We do know that our family, our son, and our grandson Jonathan have calm, level-headed personalities and are not the type to initiate an altercation.”
San Francisco police were preparing their report for the District Attorneys office Friday.
“We do have an admission. They had him down there interviewing him for quite a long time,” said Suhr.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)