kpix-7-2013-masthead kcbs 7-2013-masthead

Latest News

2 Dogs Killed, 5 Rescued In San Leandro Marijuana Grow House Fire

View Comments
Alameda County firefighters battle a fire at a home on Altamont Road (@AlamedaCoFire)

Alameda County firefighters battle a fire at a home on Altamont Road (@AlamedaCoFire)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

SAN LEANDRO (CBS SF) - Firefighters found a marijuana grow operation while battling a two-alarm blaze that killed two dogs at a hillside home in unincorporated San Leandro Monday morning, a fire spokeswoman said.

The fire was reported at 9:56 a.m. at a three-story, single-family home in the 2000 block of Altamont Road, near Darius Way, Alameda County fire spokeswoman Aisha Knowles said.

Crews could see thick smoke around the home as they were responding to the scene, Knowles said.

A male resident was at home when the fire started, but was able to get out of the house prior to firefighters’ arrival, Knowles said.

The resident suffered minor injuries when he attempted to go back inside to rescue seven dogs from the blaze, according to Knowles. Two dogs died in the fire and the five others survived.

The fire was contained within 50 minutes, according to Knowles.

Knowles said the fire started when heat lamps being used for the marijuana grow ignited vapors coming from a faulty gas line connected to an outdoor barbecue pit.

According to Knowles, a neighbor heard an explosion, which was the sound of a wall being blown out. The fire then spread to the rest of the house.

Knowles said the blaze caused major damage to all three floors, as well as the roof, attic, and porch.

The Alameda County Sheriff’s Office was investigating the marijuana grow operation, but Knowles said the resident had not been arrested as of Monday afternoon.

(© Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

 

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus