HazMat Team Diffuses Shelter-In-Place Incident In San Leandro
SAN LEANDRO (CBS SF) — Hazardous materials crews in Alameda County diffused a situation in San Leandro Saturday evening.
Alameda County fire crews responded to a report of a possible structure fire in the 2500 block of Williams Street around 6:15 p.m., Battalion Chief Chuck Palmer said.
When crews arrived, they found light smoke in the area, Palmer said.
However, upon further investigation of the smoke, they did not detect any heat source, according to Palmer.
After finding a vapor cloud coming off some machinery nearby, a hazardous materials crew was called in to diffuse the situation, the battalion chief said.
As the hazardous materials team worked on clearing the scene, a shelter-in-place was issued for residents in the area, Palmer said.
The vapor was contained at about 8:15 p.m., according to Palmer. No one was injured in the incident.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed)