San Jose Gas Leak Prompts Shelter-In-Place Warning In Downtown Area
SAN JOSE (CBS SF) – Crews have capped a gas leak that started in downtown San Jose late Tuesday morning and prompted shelter-in-place advisories for nearby residents and businesses.
The fire department was dispatched to the intersection of The Alameda and Morrison Street at 11:14 a.m. about a leak in a 3- or 4-inch underground gas main, fire officials said.
San Jose police halted traffic on a six-block section of The Alameda and residents and businesses were advised to shelter in place after the leak was reported.
PG&E crews responded and were able to control the leak by about 1:25 p.m., allowing officials to lift the shelter-in-place advisory, fire officials said.
The gas main sits beneath The Alameda, fire officials said.
(© Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)