Antioch House Fire Reveals Large Indoor Marijuana Grow

ANTIOCH (CBS SF) — A fire at a home in Antioch on Monday night revealed a large indoor marijuana grow, a fire inspector said Tuesday.

Fire crews responded shortly before 9 p.m. to reports of a fire at a home on Hidden Glen Drive, Contra Costa County Fire Protection District Inspector Steve Aubert said.

Once inside, firefighters found a large number of marijuana plants throughout the two-story home, he said.

The fire appears to have started in the home’s dining room area but was quickly controlled by an automatic sprinkler system, he said.

The residents had rigged the home’s electrical system to bypass the utility meter, and the setup had caused the electrical panel to overheat, according to Aubert.

No one was at home when firefighters arrived, and the investigation into the blaze has been turned over to Antioch police.

Police are attempting to identify the homeowners and determine who was behind the pot grow, Aubert said.

No injuries were reported in connection with the fire.

© Copyright 2014 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live