Gas Leak At San Jose Apartment Complex Prompts Evacuations
SAN JOSE (CBS SF)— Firefighters responded to a gas leak at an apartment complex in San Jose Wednesday afternoon after a construction crew hit a gas line. A fire department spokesman said the line was clamped by PG&E crews just after 2 p.m.
The leak was reported on the 1900 block of Alum Rock Avenue according to San Jose fire Capt. Cleo Doss.
PG&E spokeswoman Monica Tell said the third-party crew was digging when they struck and ruptured a half-inch gas line causing the leak.
Tell said one of the buildings near where the leak occurred was evacuated. Doss said both fire and PG&E crews were going to enter the apartment building to check to see if there were any residual gas pockets before letting residents back in.
TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.