kpix-7-2013-masthead kcbs 7-2013-masthead

Local

Elderly Couple Killed In Mobile Home Fire In Sunnyvale; Dependent Adult Son Survives

View Comments

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

SUNNYVALE (CBS SF) — An elderly couple were killed in a two-alarm fire at a Sunnyvale mobile home Thursday morning, while a dependent adult son survived after being rushed out of the burning unit by his father, fire officials said.

The fire at the mobile home in the 1000 block of Borregas Avenue was reported around 2 a.m., Sunnyvale Public Safety Capt. Carl Rushmeyer said.

Two Bodies Found In 2-Alarm Mobile Home Fire In Sunnyvale

KCBS Radio

Flames were coming out of all the windows at the home and the blaze was under control about 20 minutes later, he said.

A mentally-challenged man, who Rushmeyer estimated to be in his 40s, came out of the home and told fire crews he lived in the unit with his elderly parents.

Witness statements indicate the man’s father rushed his son out of the home and went back inside to help his girlfriend, Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety Capt. Jeff Hunter said Thursday afternoon.

Firefighters were initially unable to enter the mobile home but later,  Hunter told KCBS that they found two bodies located in the “rear bedroom hallway area.”

The unit was at the corner of the entrance to Cape Cod Village, a mobile home community for seniors ages 55 and older, Rushmeyer said.

The home was a complete loss to the fire, Rushmeyer said.

The American Red Cross was called to assist the man, Rushmeyer said.

The blaze did not spread to any other units at the mobile home community but excessive heat broke windows at a home next to the involved unit, according to Rushmeyer.

PG&E crews turned off gas and electricity to the involved unit by about 3:30 a.m., he said.

Only those three people lived in the trailer, which is a total loss, Hunter said. They had two cats, one of which was confirmed dead while the other is unaccounted for.

The blaze started in the kitchen and Hunter said it appears to have started with a cooking fire that got out of control, Hunter said.

 

TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 53,945 other followers