Instagram Unveils New Do-It-Yourself Photo Tools, Filter Enhancements, In 6.0 App Upgrade
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Major updates to the Instagram version 6.0 apps mean you can now fine-tune every nuance of the old 20 filters.
Among the tools debuting June 3rd, you can now add “Filter Strength,” along with traditional brightness and contrast, warmth and saturation.
More advanced tools include Highlights, Shadows, Vignette (darkens the outer edges in a circle around the center of the frame), and Sharpen.
Plus, Instagram announced it improved Straighten, Border, Blur/Tilt Shift, Crop, Lux, and Rotate, plus easier uploads on iOS.
Combine these new tools with the 20 preset filters, and Instagram may take you more than just an instant to dial in your perfect photo.
- Tap to open up photo-editing tools.
- Tap Brightness to make your photo brighter or darker.
- Tap Contrast to make the bright areas of your photo brighter and the dark areas darker.
- Tap Warmth to shift the colors of your photo towards warmer orange tones or cooler blue tones.
- Tap Saturation to increase or decrease the color intensity of the image (ex: adjust up to make the red redder).
- Tap Highlights to adjust the focus on the bright areas of the image.
- Tap Shadows to adjust focus on the dark areas of the image.
- Tap Vignette to darken the edges of the photo. Adding a vignette can direct the attention away from the edges towards the center of the photo.
- Tap Sharpen to add crispness to your photo and make the photo appear clearer.
- Tap Next to add a caption and location and to share your photo.
Update to version 6.0 for your Android or iPhone in the Google Play Store or on iTunes.