Salinas Denies Request To Release Names Of Officers Involved In Fatal Shootings

SALINAS (CBS / AP) — The city of Salinas has denied a request by news outlets to release the names of police officers involved in three fatal shootings this year.

City Attorney Chris Callihan raised concerns about the officers’ safety in a letter to the outlets on Tuesday. He said there have been numerous threats on officers’ lives stemming from the shootings.

Callihan cited a recent state Supreme Court ruling that rejected blanket bans on the release of officers’ names, but said exceptions could be made in cases where credible threats existed.

The shootings have sparked a public outcry, including a protest last month during which an officer was hit in the head with a bottle.

The news outlets that sought the names include the Salinas Californian and the Monterey Herald.

© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


One Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live