Local

Animal Update: More Bay Area Dogs Headed To Clinics With Marijuana Poisoning

View Comments
Medical marijuana at a dispensary. (David McNew/Getty Images)

Medical marijuana at a dispensary. (David McNew/Getty Images)

Jeff Bell20100908_KCBS_0122r Jeff Bell
A Bay Area native, Jeff is thrilled to be at KCBS, a station he...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS)— Recently the news has suggested that there’s been a spike in the number of dog’s poisoned by marijuana consumption here in California. Dr. Jennifer Scarlett from the San Francisco SPCA says it’s true. More dogs are being rushed to Bay Area emergency clinics after eating pot that was intended for humans.

“This trend is being observed in multiple places in the Bay Area. One clinic is reporting that they’re seeing one to two cases a week,” Scarlett said.

Marijuana Poisoning In Pets

KCBS Radio

When a dog ingests marijuana, Scarlett said it’s similar to the affects of many other sedatives. Dogs become listless, their eyes become dilated and there’s a particular startled response in them.

“If you see your dog ingest marijuana, call your veterinarian,” Scarlett said. “You may be able to induce vomiting or take it to your veterinarian and they can do that,”

However, once the THC (the active component in marijuana) takes affect, that anti-nausea component makes it really difficult to get rid of the marijuana. Your veterinarian will then likely detoxify your dog by putting them on fluid support and other supportive measures to make them more comfortable and okay while they process the drug.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 53,999 other followers