RICHMOND (CBS SF) — Authorities say five students got sick — including two who were rushed to the hospital unconscious — after eating marijuana brownies that were sold at a Richmond high school.
Richmond police said a 17-year-old senior allegedly sold the brownies Thursday at De Anza High School for $3 apiece or two for $5.
School resource officers discovered around 2 p.m. that several students had suddenly fallen ill, with symptoms including nausea, vomiting and light-headedness, Richmond police Lt. Andre Hill said.
“It was found out they had consumed brownies and cookies with marijuana,” Hill said.
Officers had to resuscitate one student and two were taken to a hospital for treatment, Hill said. Three other students who were sickened did
not require hospitalization.
Five students, ages 14 to 16, fell ill. Gagan says two regained consciousness at the hospital and are in serious but stable condition.
Three other students were treated at the school for nausea and vomiting.
The suspect, whose name was not released due to her age, was arrested for a variety of offenses including narcotics possession and child endangerment and taken to Juvenile Hall in Martinez, where she remained in custody Friday.
There’s no immediate word on where she got the brownies.
Hill said school officials were reportedly taking steps to expel the girl.
TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. And its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.