I love Mincemeat Pie, but not the beef suet that recipes call for…so I make a no meat Mock Mincemeat Pie.
This is a recipe I got from my sister year’s ago. It makes a lot of pie filling, so you can either freeze the extra filling, in pie size servings, in freezer bags or can it (processing in boiling water for 25 minutes in sterilized pint jars.)
Mock Mincemeat Pie Filling:
7 lbs. ripe Bartlett pears
2 lbs. raisins
6 3/4 cups sugar
1 tb ground cloves
1 tb cinnamon
1 tb nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ginger
1 cup vinegar
Core and quarter the pears and lemon…removing the seeds from the lemon.
Dice the pears and lemon and place in a large pot along with the remaining ingredients .
Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 40 minutes.
The filling is then ready for your pies or tarts…
Have a Happy Thanksgiving Holiday!
You can help fight hunger now. Join KPIX 5 and Whole Foods Market as we help feed hungry families this holiday season. Stop by any Whole Foods Market and drop healthy non-perishable foods in the bin. Your donation is a lifeline.
For more information on Food For Bay Area Families Drive, click here.
More Thanksgiving Recipes:
- 5 Non-Traditional Dishes To Serve At Thanksgiving
- 6 Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes From Big City Chefs
- Anne Makovec’s ‘Not-Nearly-As-Bad-For-You-As-It-Sounds’ Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Larry Chiaroni’s Mock Mincemeat Pie Recipe
- Roberta Gonzales’ Cranberry, Orange & Cilantro Salsa Recipe
- The ‘KCBS Thanksgiving Kitchen’ With Stan Bunger
- Ed Cavagnaro’s Pumpkin Bread Recipe