MOSS LANDING (CBS/AP) — Federal authorities are investigating a report that a Northern California boat owner shot a female sea otter.
The Monetery Herald reports that a woman reported seeing a man shooting a sea otter with a pellet gun at a dock in the Moss Landing harbor in Monterey County on Dec. 4. The man said he was shooting aimlessly in the water. The unidentified man has not been arrested, but authorities have seized his pellet gun.
It’s unclear if the sea otter is injured. The otter is still in the wild.
But after the shooting, the sea otter abandoned her weakest of two pups. Monterey Bay Aquarium staff euthanized the pup because a surrogate mother in captivity was unavailable and the two-pound baby was deemed too frail to survive alone outside.
- Viral Video Of Texas Road Rage Incident Gets ‘Star Wars’ Treatment
- Kim Kardashian-West Talks Sexuality, Family Life, Caitlyn Jenner In San Francisco Commonwealth Club Interview
- N. California Woman Seeks Couple She Snapped Getting Engaged On The Eiffel Tower
- ‘Jimmy Kimmel’ Goes To Oakland For Warriors Edition Of ‘Lie Witness News’
- ‘Roaracle’ Is The Loudest NBA Arena, But Could All That Noise Affect Your Hearing?
- Watch Stephen Curry Rapping As A College Student In Recently Uncovered Video
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.