SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — Fireworks sparked a fire at a mall during a Vietnamese New Year celebration in San Jose’s Little Saigon neighborhood on Monday night, according to fire officials.
The fire, located at Grand Century Shopping Mall, at 1111 Story Road in San Jose, was reported at about 8:37 p.m, fire officials said.
Many people had gathered to celebrate the Vietnamese New Year when the building caught fire.
A cellphone video of the fireworks display above the structure, also captured images of the fire.
San Jose fire officials said it appears that one of the mortars flew into the air and then landed in a tree, which caught fire and then spread to the edge of a bakery located in the mall.
Firefighters said they were able to contain the fire within a few minutes and said no injuries were reported.