Prince Joins List Of Stars Dead From Drug Overdoses

(CBS SF/AP) — A Minnesota medical examiner has ruled that Prince died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, a synthetic opioid painkiller. Authorities have not said whether he had a prescription for the drug and, if not, how he obtained it. Prince joins a list of other stars, including Judy Garland and Marilyn Monroe, whose lives ended with an overdose.

Philip Seymour Hoffman (credit: Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images)

Philip Seymour Hoffman (credit: Gareth Cattermole/Getty Images)

PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN: The 46-year-old actor, who won an Oscar for his portrayal of writer Truman Capote, was found dead in his apartment in 2014 with a needle in his arm.

Over the years, Hoffman spoke candidly about his struggles with drug addiction. After 23 years sober, he admitted in interviews in 2013 to falling off the wagon and developing a heroin problem that led to a stint in rehab.

The New York City medical examiner ruled that Hoffman died from taking a combination of heroin, cocaine and other drugs.


 
Photos: Michael Jackson Through The Years

(Photo credit by VINCENT AMALVY/AFP/Getty Images)

MICHAEL JACKSON: Jackson died in 2009 of “acute propofol intoxication.” The King of Pop had been taking the prescription anesthetic to sleep as he prepared for a series of comeback concerts.

Former cardiologist Conrad Murray was convicted in 2011 of giving Jackson a fatal dose of the drug. He served two years in in jail for causing Jackson’s 2009 death. Murray’s conviction was upheld in 2014.


 
Actor Heath Ledger poses for a photograph as he attends the Spanish premiere of his new movie 'Destino de Caballero' June 22, 2001 at the Hotel Villamagna in Madrid, Spain. (Photo by Carlos Alvarez/Gettyimages)

Heath Ledger (credit: Carlos Alvarez/Gettyimages)

HEATH LEDGER: Oscar-nominated for “Brokeback Mountain” and a posthumous winner for “The Dark Knight,” Ledger died in 2008 from an accidental overdose of six different drugs.

Among the medications in his system were oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine. There was no mention of alcohol or illegal drugs.

Ledger’s “accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage,” his father said.

Three of the six prescription drugs found in Ledger’s apartment had been filled in Europe.


 
LOS ANGELES, CA - DECEMBER 1:  Model Anna Nicole Smith accepts the Big Makeover Award on stage during the VH1 Big in 04 at the Shrine Auditorium on December 1, 2004 in Los Angeles, California.  (Photo by Frank Micelotta/Getty Images)

Anna Nicole Smith (credit: Frank Micelotta/Getty Images)

ANNA NICOLE SMITH: Smith, a former Playboy Playmate and reality TV star, accidentally overdosed on at least nine prescription drugs in February 2007. She had been taking chloral hydrate, a seldom-prescribed sedative. An autopsy report said she sometimes drank the sedative directly from the bottle.

Contributing factors included her weakened condition from stomach flu and an infection on her buttocks.

Police say the death was probably not a suicide because people who die by suicide typically use more lethal drugs than chloral hydrate.

Broward County Medical Examiner Dr. Joshua Perper said Smith had also been on several antidepressant and anti-anxiety drugs and had recently been injecting herself with purported longevity medications, vitamin B-12 and growth hormone.


 
Related: Notable Deaths 2016


 
Margaux Hemingway (credit: By Sabonarola/Wikimedia Commons)

Margaux Hemingway (credit: By Sabonarola/Wikimedia Commons)

MARGAUX HEMINGWAY: The actress and model was found dead in her apartment in 1996. Investigators determined it was a suicide from an overdose of phenobarbital, a sedative used to treat epilepsy and other conditions.

Hemingway appeared on the covers of Elle, Cosmopolitan and Vogue. Her film credits include 1979’s “Killer Fish” and 1984’s “Over the Brooklyn Bridge.”

 


 
Jay Bennett of Wilco (credit: Rachel Leibowitz/Wikimedia Commons)

Jay Bennett of Wilco (credit: Rachel Leibowitz/Wikimedia Commons)

JAY BENNETT: Toxicology tests showed that the former Wilco guitarist died of an overdose of fentanyl, the same drug cited as causing Prince’s death.

Bennett had a patch containing fentanyl on his back when he died in May 2009. He had recently written on his MySpace page that he was getting ready for hip replacement surgery.

He had worked as a sound engineer and played instruments for Wilco from 1994 to 2001. He sued Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy before he died, claiming he was owed royalties for songs during his seven years with the group.

 


 
WWF wrestler Chyna arrives at the 43rd Annual Grammy Awards held at Staples Center February 21, 2001 in Los Angeles, CA. (Photo by Laura Farr/Newsmakers)

Joan Marie Laurer aka “Chyna” (credit: Laura Farr/Newsmakers/Getty Images)

CHYNA: Joanie Laurer, a former wrestling star known as Chyna, died in April of a suspected drug overdose. Manager Anthony Anzaldo says she accidentally overdosed on a prescription sleeping pill and a tranquilizer.

Laurer had prescriptions for Ambien and a generic version of Valium. No alcohol was found in her system.

Chyna was pro wrestling’s first female superstar. She fought both men and women in the ring. She was billed as the “9th Wonder of the World,” a nod to Andre the Giant’s self-designation as the eighth.

TM and © Copyright 2016 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2016 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

 

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Watch & Listen LIVE