What’s In A $43 Martini? San Francisco Fog, Of Course

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — After a quick search on Google of what you can buy for $43 — 18,000 large garden ladybugs, a prank fake ultrasound pregnancy photo, a sign that says ‘If you quit once, it becomes a habit… never quit’ — the prospect of spending $43 on a martini made with genuine San Francisco fog sounds not only reasonable, it feels downright necessary.

Epic Steak, located on San Francisco’s Embarcadero added the $43 Fog Point Martini to its menu about a month ago. It’s made with Hangar 1 Fog Point vodka, an exclusive spirit, that’s so, so San Francisco.

Nick has been working with Hangar 1 for a long time and created the cocktail for Epic Steak.

“I kept it really classic,” he says. “With vermouth, garnished with a lemon twist.”

The main ingredient? Three ounces of Hangar 1 Fog Point vodka, made with water harvested from the San Francisco fog.

Despite the abundance of brume in the Bay, it takes a whole day to harvest a few cups of the precious mist. Mesh ‘fog catchers’ perched high on the hilltops mimic the plants — drop by drop — turning fog into fresh water that is later filtered and blended with vodka from distilled premium wine.

You can’t even buy a bottle of Fog Point vodka. The website says it’s sold out.

“The fog catchers only harvest something like 600 litres a season,” says Nick. “That’s why it’s so hard to get.”

Hence, the $43 price tag on the Fog Point Martini.

“We have a some scotches and cognacs that cost more, but it’s definitely the most expensive cocktail on the menu.”

Nick says he only sells one or two a week.

So what kind of customer orders a $43 martini?

“It’s for a true vodka lover, probably from the Bay Area — who can appreciate the fog and the styling. Someone who wants to taste something really special.”

And what would Nick pair it with, besides the breathtaking view of the San Francisco bay?

“I always say that a vodka martini is a great compliment to a good steak.”

Of course.

Check out the Fog Point Martini at Epic Steak, 369 The Embarcadero — San Francisco.

CBSSF.com writer, producer Jan Mabry is also executive producer and host of The Bronze Report. She lives in Northern California. Follow her on Twitter @janmabr.

Comments

1. fiftyville says:

Noting like a drink ingredient where the flavoring comes from auto exhaust and the homeless breaking wind.

1. DL2525 says:

Don’t forget all the AIDS!!!

2. Sal says:

A drink bought by the same suckers who vote for Clintons and Bushes.

1. BobUSAFret says:

Mostly Clintons, and clown Pelosi, not too many repubs conservative even want to live in the liberal cesspool of Sf.

3. fiftyville wins the Innerwebz with comment of the day!

Proof once again that Wealth != brains

4. Joe Campbell says:

Only in the land of perverted fruits, nuts and stupid rich liberals!

5. DL2525 says:

San Fran fog? It’s probably full of AIDS!!!

6. doug johnson says:

“I knew it would be a niche drink,” says Nick Henry, the restaurant’s Beverage Director. He should have said “I knew that people in San Francisco would be stupid enough to pay $43 for a martini with polluted, suspended water droplets in it, in hopes that it would somehow make them seem even cooler than they already believe themselves to be”.

7. Juan Wayne says:

Oh F O G, I Thought it was made out if San Francisco F A G.

8. Packard says:

Much like pre-great depression era shoeshine boys giving stock tips; nothing warns of a coming crisis like excessive (to say nothing for, silly) conspicuous consumption like this.

9. onetermandout says:

Need any more proof there’s an a$$ for every seat? If it’s not too sore to sit down, that is.

10. Kurt Frommd says:

why not just inhale SF city smog, it’s free and not much different from SF city fog.

11. No better place to sell such a scam. Liberals are the dumbest!

12. mtnman28709 says:

And somewhere there’s a dumba** that’ll pay for it … PT Barnum was right.

13. If SF diners are willing to pay for a drink enhanced by smog, more idiot power to them. In a city that already campaigns and taxes for cleaner environment what other idiocy would I expect?

14. larrybud says:

The only thing dumber than this idea are the people who would spend their money on such nonsense…. on second thought, it’s a great idea.

15. chuckiechan says:

Droplets of water in the atmosphere collect everything it touches. That drink could be the most contaminated concoction ever!

Drink up boys!

16. Frisco says:

This article is so, so San Francisco. The self-referential patting on the back and the ridiculous economic preening aside, the author can’t even identify the correct word (complement, not compliment).

17. Gene Pinkham says:

I shall name it. The Mel Torme……

1. Namey Name says:

Skiddly beep bop do wah

18. I. GOH Pauti says:

I just flushed my toilet with water from Noah’s flood.

19. Fed Up says:

They have the right to charge whatever they want, it’s the idiots that buy it that worry me.

20. Ryan J Brown says:

This literally is someone selling bottled air. Good God, there are people stupid enough to buy this.

21. Michael Bol says:

If some moron wants to blow his/her money on damp air mixed with pollution, good for them. Says a lot about the city in a way.

22. Jeff Smith says:

They are also selling Unicorn Steaks and bottled Fairy Farts. Get’em while they last.

23. Jo Jo says:

Put on your hipster and toddle on over to this sucker-born-every-minute joint. How utterly indicting on many levels…………..

24. Brian Sides says:

this is so frisco, lunatics everywhere addicted to stupidity

25. Gen. Patton says:

San Francisco is full of idiots. This testicle sweat martini is proof of it. Build a wall across the southern border. Then build a wall around San Francisco. Doors are unnecessary. Fill with raw sewage.

26. The nation already thinks your city is full of nitwits, no need to keep trying to one up on yourselves.

27. Bill Williams says:

Suckers; they’re as gullible and dumb as democRats.

28. Ex-Bears Fan says:

How stupid.

29. kay2861 says:

There’s a fool born every minute.

30. Neil Ringlee says:

Years ago I worked as a high steel painter in the Bay Area. If you all only knew what that lovely fog does to steel you would think twice about drinking it. But there is a sucker born every minute.

31. TruthInSpending says:

If they lowered the price to forty-three cents, I still wouldn’t want it.

32. Jack Crowe says:

We are growing stupid as a species if indeed this is true!

33. Jim Agner says:

San Francisco…100% inhabited by the stupid, the needy, the naive, and the insane

34. Why am I surprised it’s even misnamed? There is no such thing as a martini the main ingredient of which is anything other than gin. This one isn’t a “martini”: it’s a “vodka and vermouth”.

35. Namey Name says:

How about vodka made from water harvested from my ball sweat.

36. gunnyginalaska says:

A liberal sucker is born every minute and moves to the Left Coast with the other idiots.

37. Jeff Locke says:

In the words of Forest Gump’s mother…”stupid is as stupid does”.

38. Ken says:

I would be embarrassed if one of my tenants found out I had spent $43 of their rent money on such frivolity.

39. Dave says:

And if you’ll buy that I have a $10 bottle of “glacier water” I want to sell you. (It was probably in a glacier sometime in the last 4 billion years, anyway.)

40. Surfin Safari says:

Just lost my appetite for the Epic Steak and Fog Martini with the below “promoted story” link of Cow Fart regulations approved by CA legislature.

41. Dammitt says:

For only $25, I’ll sell you a boilermaker flavored with one of my farts.

42. Hiram Floss says:

well for all the Fog enthusiasts I am selling unicorn sweat. It’s 1500 dollar per ounce. oh sure it looks, smells and tastes just like water but TRUST me it’s really from unicorns. I can be reached at http://www.usefulidiots.com

43. Dj says:

If it was any vodka other than hanger one (the worst vodka on the market) I’d consider it.

44. aubreyfarmer says:

From what I have read the federal government uses the very predictable fog of San Francisco to conduct biological weapons tests. This came to light when one of the supposed innocuous biological weapons they were testing killed someone.

45. Willey Cyotye says:

You do have to laugh at the idea of a drink made from water precipitated out of air on the West Coast fresh from China with such strict pollution controls you choke on the air. Don’t worry after drinking their SMOG drink they jump in their Tesla or Prius and save the planet as they drive home drunk. The left is so entertaining.

46. All you need to say is “San Francisco +, and I know it’s a rip-off

47. nulli says:

Hanger One Vodka….people are starving in Africa, dying in Syria, drowning off the coast of Italy and drinking $43 martinis in San Francisco. I think God will have something to say about this at some point.