iPhone Catches Fire In Class, Leaving College Student With Burns

GLASSBORO, N.J. (CBS SF) Apple is investigating after a New Jersey college student said his iPhone caught on fire in class.

Darin Hlavaty claims his iPhone 6 Plus spontaneously burst into flames while he sat in class at Rowan University, causing his classroom to be evacuated.

“I flinched upwards because it was burning my leg, as I flinched up I noticed it was smoking and I threw the phone on the ground and it lit up into flames,” he told CBS2. “I kicked it down and made the fire go out.”

Hlavaty was left with a hole in his jeans pocket from the fire.

There have been complaints made about iPhones bursting into flames while charging, but Hlavaty says his phone, which he had for about six months, wasn’t even turned on at the time.

Last month, Samsung suspended sales of their Galaxy Note 7 after reports that battery issues were causing the phones to catch fire.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live