SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A man who allegedly shot a police officer in the head Friday night in San Francisco’s Lake Shore neighborhood died Sunday afternoon, police and hospital officials said.

The suspect, whose name has not been released yet, died at around 3 p.m. at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital at 1001 Potrero Avenue, hospital spokesman Brent Andrew said.

The suspect’s confrontation with police began around 8:15 p.m., when officers responded to the Lakeshore Shopping Center at 1501 Sloat Blvd.  after receiving a call about a man causing a disturbance and making threats, police said.

When officers encountered the man in the first block of Everglade Drive, he fired several shots toward the officers, striking one of them in the head. The suspect then ran toward Sigmund Stern Grove, according to police.

The injured officer’s partner provided first aid and requested backup, and officers established a perimeter around Stern Grove Park, police said.

The suspect came out of the bushes at 28th Avenue and Vicente Street and tried to run away. Officers however chased and shot the suspect, who fell to the ground while holding his gun to his chest and refusing to surrender, according to police.

Tactical officers used flash-bang devices to distract the man, and were able to arrest him. The suspect was taken to San Francisco General Hospital for treatment, police said.

Interim Police Chief Toney Chaplin said on Saturday his officers are looking into the suspect’s background.

The injured officer was in critical but stable condition on Saturday at San Francisco General Hospital.

Chaplin said Saturday that the officer was partially paralyzed on one side of his body.

Chaplin said the officer has been with the department for two years and is assigned to Taraval Station.

The interim chief said information has been circulating that the officer’s injury was a graze wound.

“It was a lot more than that,” he said. “One centimeter down and this may have been a fatality for the officer. He underwent surgery to remove fragments from his brain.”

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee issued a statement Saturday morning saying, “Last night I received one of those calls that as a mayor you never want to receive. The phone call that tells you a police officer has been shot in the line of duty.”

“Each day, the members of the San Francisco Police Department face uncertainty and danger with the purpose of protecting our city and its residents. My thoughts remain with the officer and his family.”

Chaplin said a town hall meeting will be held this week to give residents information about the shooting.

© Copyright 2016 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments (6)
  1. Ann zema says:

    bet I know his race !!

  2. This low-life got what he deserved. Justice was served today.

  3. Adam says:

    Thank the Lord for the death of this piece of human waste. We need more uplifting stories such as this one.
    Lord, most of the time you are a complete failure, but once in a while you actually get off your lazier than f uc k arshe and do something positive for us humans.

  4. tn says:

    At least the suspect “had a fighting chance” as Interim Chief Chaplin said in his earlier press conference…. Still trying to figure out what the Chief meant?

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE