SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – Brian Means has had an impressive career crafting cocktails behind some of the Bay Area’s most successful bars. Previously, he served as Head Bartender at Dirty Habit, where he invigorated the restaurant with a new, seasonal beverage program. He drew cocktail fans from near and afar and I was one of them.
Before Dirty Habit, Means was behind the bar at the Fifth Floor and Zero-Zero in San Francisco’s SOMA district, where he collaborated with a number of the city’s influential bartenders. Means began his career as the lead bartender at Chow in Danville, where he regularly developed cocktails for the ever-changing menu.
In 2016, Means was a U.S. Finalist for Diageo World Class, and took home the second place distinction as Heaven Hills’ ‘Bartender of the Year’. In 2015, the San Francisco Chronicle named Means one of their Bar Stars.
In his free time, Means can be found perfecting his creative drinks, or guest bartending at venues throughout San Francisco.
This much in demand mixologist and I met for cocktails and conversation recently at PABU in San Francisco. Brian crafted two cocktails for the holidays:
- THE PROSPECTOR
- BOTTOM OF THE CUP
Both are on the PABU menu now and the recipes are featured below.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS & see you at HAPPY HOUR.
Bottom of the Cup
- 1.5 oz. Anchor Junipero Gin
- .75 oz. Earl Grey Tea Cordial (see below for recipe)
- .75 oz. Lemon Juice
- .25 oz. Pierre Ferrand Dry Curacao
- .5 egg white
- Combine all of the ingredients together in a mixing tin.
- Dry shake without ice for about 10 seconds.
- Add ice and shake another 10 seconds.
- Double strain into a Large Coupe.
- Garnish with a thyme sprig.
Earl Grey Tea Cordial
- 16 oz. White Sugar
- 8 oz. Heavily Steeped Earl Grey Tea
- 1 pinch salt.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a small pot and bring to a light simmer.
- Stir constantly to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar has been dissolved, remove from heat and place in an ice bath.
- Strain the syrup into a cambro and label and date it.
- Will keep for 2 weeks.
To make the tea:
- 8 oz Hot Water
- 2 earl grey tea bags.
- Combine the water and tea and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags and cover the tea.
- 2 oz. Bourbon
- .75 oz. Averna Amaro
- .5 oz. PX Sherry
- 2 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
- Combine all the ingredients together in a mixing glass and add ice.
- Stir for about 10-15 seconds and then strain into a Nic & Nora glass.
- Garnish with an orange twist.
For more information, visit: