Health Topic Center
CBS San Francisco Health News
- Patients Racking Up Medical Bills Despite Affordable Care Act Even people with health insurance can still rack up significant medical debt, particularly if they get a serious illness. Now, a new service from Nerdwallet is helping steer individuals with outstanding medical debt to medical billing experts, ...
- San Francisco Could Be First City In The World To Provide Free HIV Prevention Pill To Residents A San Francisco supervisor is asking the city to provide a HIV prevention drug to all residents free of charge.
- Obama Sending 3,000 Military Troops To Help Combat Ebola Epidemic In West Africa The Obama administration is ramping up its response to West Africa's Ebola crisis, preparing to assign 3,000 U.S. military personnel to the afflicted region to supply medical and logistical support to overwhelmed local health care systems and to...
- Cancer Survivor Pushing Giant Testicle Across U.S. To Raise Awareness Heads To San Francisco The images are startling. A man, a dog, and a gigantic six-foot inflatable testicle trudging across the horizon. It's not a joke, it's one man's battle to raise awareness for male cancers. He's serious, and he's heading to San Francisco.
- Bay Area Rapper Paralyzed In Shooting Looks To Walk Again With New Device Kafani was a rising star in the Bay Area rap scene. All of that came to a halt, when someone shot him five times while he was filming a music video in East Oakland.
- Enterovirus D68: What Every Parent Should Know Parents should be prepared for a new virus that is infecting the Midwest and looking to sweep the nation.
- Oakland-Based Kaiser Agrees To Pay $4M Fine Over Access To Mental Health Services Health care giant Kaiser Permanente has agreed to pay a $4 million fine over allegations it denied some patients timely access to mental health services.
- Blue Shield Customers Protest Nonprofit’s $2.5 Million Skybox At Levi’s Stadium Customers of not-for-profit health insurer Blue Shield planned to deliver signatures Thursday demanding access to the orginziation’s new luxury suite at Levi’s Stadium, home of the San Francisco 49ers.
- Kaiser Drops Appeal— Will Pay $4 Million Fine Over Mental Health Coverage Kaiser Permanente says it will pay a $4 million fine levied by the state of California for serious violations in how it delivers mental health care after a year-long legal challenge.
- Smoke Advisory Issued To Bay Area Residents Over Air Quality Due To Wildfires The Bay Area Air Quality Management District issued a smoke advisory to alert Bay Area residents to the potential for poor air quality due to Northern California wildfires through Monday.