Tale Of The Tape: A’s $1.2M Coliseum Rent Vs. $1.1M Craig Gentry Salary
- Average23,461 fans per-game in 2014, good for 24th in the league, according to ESPN..277 batting average, safely above the MLB average of .251
- DefenseThe A's have stepped up their game here recently. Last year they began airport-style metal detector screening and bag checks, but the staff has retained the same friendly demeanor as they relieve you of the beers you were trying to sneak in.With a career .986 fielding percentage and 21 outfield assists, Gentry has shown the ability to play all three outfield positions and climb the fence to make a play when needed. He's a valuable tool off the bench.
- Career HighlightWith all due respect to Led Zeppelin's final U.S. show and Rickey Henderson snapping the all-time steals record, we've got to give it to one of World Series clinching games. The A's finished off the Mets and Dodgers here in consecutive years, but the '74 Series went the distance - 7 games. That's our pick.While playing with the Rangers, he got a chance to pitch the final inning of a 2011 loss to his future team, the A's. He coughed up 2 runs on three hits and a walk.
- Notable FeaturePrior to the return of the Raiders from LA, the Coliseum was considered a fairly attractive park. Enter Mount Davis: The center field monstrosity added NFL-level seating capacity and a state penitentiary aesthetic.Does not have a cement monolith sticking out of the middle of him.
- General HealthThe aging multi-purpose stadium is partially covered in tarps, features dinky scoreboards and relatively Spartan "luxury" boxes. But most notably, the park has begun making headlines for sewage leaks that send opposing players scrambling into the A's locker-room for a clean shower.As far as we know, Gentry's plumbing works.
The Coliseum has played host to some fine moments (contrary to what some 1989 Giants fans might think), but Gentry is younger, healthier and even costs a tad less. What a bargain. Word is the current proposed rent may not be enough for East Bay politicians. If the rent ends up soaring into John Jaso salary territory we might need to re-run the numbers.