OAKLAND (KCBS) – Police still have no suspects in the New Year’s Eve murder of a 17-year-old boy in Oakland.

Christopher Jones was in the driveway of his home at about 6:30 p.m. on Fresno St. near the Oakland Coliseum. He had just put his five-month-old niece in her car seat when two men approached and shots rang out.

Jones’ mother, Brenda Grisham was already seated in the front seat of the car.

His Sister Dashonda Gibson, the baby’s mother, was about to get in.

“There was a bullet hole right in the front windshield where my baby was. They must have seen him. I don’t understand how they didn’t see that he had a baby in his hand and he put her in the car,” said Dashonda.

KCBS’ Anna Duckworth Reports:

Dashonda was shot in the foot. Her daughter was unharmed.

Jones’ mother Brenda Grisham who had been in the front seat of the car when the shooting started, attempted to cover her son’s body to protect him as he lay on the ground. But according to Brenda he had already been shot.

Brenda said her son, a senior at Castelmont High, was set to start classes at Laney College later this month and had applied for Cal State East Bay in the fall.

“He was a musician he played for various churches, various groups. He was just a kind-hearted giving person. Anything he could do for anybody, he did it to the best of his ability” said his mother.

Grishman said her son had no enemies and there’s no reason anyone would’ve wanted to kill him.

“[He] never had an argument with anybody, never had a fight in his life. I think it was an accident. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

(© 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Comments (17)
  1. amy says:

I cried .Why do good people die ?and the bad ones survive and continue to do bad things to innocent people.My heart cries for his mtoher.May his soul rest in piece.and may the Lord help his mother endure this pain of losing a beloved son.

2. TinaV says:

That is so sad. Another senseless killing. I pray for peace for the family and to everyone.

3. The bay area wants to know says:

When will the people of Oakland unite to say “enough!”? Mayor-Elect Quan? Will you provide the needed leadership?

1. JaneQPublic says:

Stop looking for a ‘savior’ in the mayor – or ANY official – and learn what YOU can do to stop the violence and build a healthier community.

4. Tommy says:

Oakland is the bad place to live……it’s so sad…another innocent …sucks

5. callady says:

Cowards thats what the ones that killed this child of ours are. Yes, ours we are all in this together. Lets realize this and maybe the guns will get off the streets and Christopher would be alive today. Don’t anybody just close your eyes to things going on in OUR cities. I pray for Christopher, his brave mother and his family and friends. Hope that Mr. Jerry Brown will do something about the illegal guns.

6. JaneQPublic says:

I am so sorry for this boy’s family. He seems like a nice and caring young man who was on the path to a good future. His death is tragic for those who loved him and a loss to the whole human community. My sincere condolences to his family.

7. Nancy McLaughlin says:

Look at that beautiful smile. Chris was in my English class last summer, and he was an absolute joy. It breaks my heart and makes me furious that such a kind, respectful, well-raised young man, with such a bright future ahead of him, has been robbed of his life in such a stupid, senseless act of cruelty. In front of his poor mother and sister! In front of his baby cousin! I’m just sick over this, and I hope the police are able to find the cowards who have devastated such a good family.

My heartfelt condolences go out to his loved ones. I will always remember how that precious face lit up when he spoke about his music. This was a fine young man.

1. Nancy McLaughlin says:

The baby was Chris’ niece, of course, not his cousin. Seventeen years old, and his last action in life was that of a caring uncle. Bless his soul.

8. Buddha says:

These young wanna be gangsters have the game so twisted. They think they are earning stripes by killing innocent civilians.

9. JaneQPublic says:

” They think they are earning stripes by killing innocent civilians.”

The only stripes they have earned are yellow ones. It takes ZERO intelligence or courage to destroy, or to sneak up and kill an unarmed innocent person. The punks that killed this young man have shown what cowards they are – and stupid ones at that.

Even in death, Christopher Jones will always be more of a REAL MAN than the cowards who killed him. It is always harder to build a constructive life – but he was doing it. Bless his memory.

10. Concerned Bay Area says:

Sending love and prayers. I am so sorry for your loss.
    Please if any of the shooters are reading this put down your guns and past hurts, vengence and pick up something positive. Do something good for your community. This violence will not end unless you make a change!

11. Deeply Saddened Friend says:

i knew him, we were friends from his old school, CJ, as we all called him, was such a great guy, carefree, always having fun and laughing, and thats how i’ll always remember him, i am so deeply saddened, I cried I give his family all my deepest condolances, Rest In Peace CJ

12. Mourning Bandmate says:

We were bandmates back in his old school. He was one heck of a musician and he was always laughing and making people around him smile. It’s just not fair that someone as talented and kind-hearted as him had passed on in such a way. Rest in Peace CJ. Love ya

13. Michael Tucson on facebook message me please to let me know what you guys think says:

i was friends with him in american high school in fremont….he was my friend in PE first period i wish i had contact when he moved i cried…..havnt cried in a long time he was my good friend when i heard about it from my friend i thought he was kidding he did nothing to no one he was very peacful always laughing always thinking about the bright side even if his day was going bad he was a very good basketball player in the school everyone wanted him on his team i know i did when we had swimming he was way better then me shooting those 3 pointers….i wont forget those good time bro love you may you rest in peace your friend michael

14. Ann says: