SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — A popular dog park in San Jose, one that was closed after a small dog that visited the park Saturday had seizures and died, is set to reopen Thursday, city officials said Wednesday.

Preliminary results of a necropsy determined that it was unlikely the dog was poisoned at the park, and city officials said that, as a precaution, the park would be pressure washed prior to reopening.

San Jose resident Jennifer Tian took her dog, Colin, a Shiba Inu, to play at Butcher Dog Park on Saturday afternoon.

The dog was playing normally but then suddenly began vomiting and suffering seizures, Animal Care and Services deputy director Jon Cicirelli said.

Tian took the dog to a veterinarian, who suspected the dog might have been poisoned, Cicirelli said.

Animal Care and Services was investigating the dog’s death to determine whether it was indeed a poisoning, and a necropsy was performed Tuesday.
Preliminary necropsy results indicated that Colin’s body showed no signs of poisonous toxins.

The necropsy’s official results could take anywhere from one to three weeks, Cicirelli said.

“Because the dog’s symptoms mimicked those of an animal that had ingested a poisonous substance, we opted to close the park immediately for the safety of our residents and their pets,” Cicirelli said Wednesday in a statement.

“We feel comfortable, given the findings and the ability to clean the park, that it can safely be opened,” he said.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)

Comments (3)
  1. SFBeacher says:

    Uhhh……o.k., jimmy. Sure it wasn’t the FDA? Just sayin’…..

  2. mark kroeker says:

    Hey Jimmy time to get back on the meds buddy.