SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) – Asking what Apple has up its sleeve is turning out to be rather apropos: The rumor mill is abuzz this week with claims that Apple is developing a smart watch that would likely be an accessory for the iPhone. I find this to be a pretty credible rumor for several reasons:
– Wearable tech in watch form was red hot at the Consumer Electronics Show a few weeks ago.READ MORE: UPDATE: Wildland Fire Burns 150 Acres Near Watsonville; Evacuations Ordered, Zero Containment
– Apple needs a category-making wow product as it increasingly gets the reputation as an evolutionary company, if a very profitable one.
– Technologies that allow ultra-miniature wireless, long battery life in a tiny package and curved, bendable displays are all coming into their own in the year or two ahead and would be the building blocks Apple needs to make a watch that stuns.
READ MORE: CHP Pursuit Ends With Crash, AC Transit Bus Into West Oakland Home
– A watch that requires an iPhone helps to defend against the increasing onslaught of Android phones and bolster the competitive barrier that iTunes used to be.
– Apple has already shown its belief in the watch category with the recent square iPod Nano that started at least a cottage industry in watch bands to make it a smartwatch, though not a connected one.
I don’t expect this product any time soon — I would expect Apple to unveil a television long before a watch – but I’d rate it a likelihood more than a long shot.MORE NEWS: COVID: Bay Area Airports, Tourism Industry Gears Up As Rules Loosen For International Travelers
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)