OAKLAND (KCBS/BCN) – The five-day closure of the Bay Bridge was set to start on Wednesday night at 8:00 p.m., but the California Highway Patrol is warning drivers who want to cross the span not to wait until the last minute.
CHP Officer Daniel Hill said one after another, feeder freeways to the Bay Bridge on both sides of the span will be closed.
- Bay Bridge Closure Survival Guide
- Bay Area Historians Gather Stories For Bay Bridge Project
- Old Eastern Span Of Bay Bridge May Take 3 Years To Dismantle
- BART, AC Transit, Muni Boosting Service For Bay Bridge Closure
- Increased Ferry Service Available For Bay Bridge Closure
“The closures are probably going to be effective between 7:15 and 7:45ish,” he said.
Hill said the staggered closures are designed to avoid a last minute rush to the bridge, before the 8:00 p.m. deadline for it to be completely cleared of traffic, so Caltrans crews can immediately start the work necessary to open the new eastern span.