SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Happy New Year 2014! Now, how do you get home? Transit areas across the Bay Area are offering extended hours and even some free services to get you home safely after ringing in the new year Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.
Whether you’re watching the free San Francisco fireworks show south of the Ferry building, or just toasting the ball drop while watching on KPIX 5, you have extended options for the first trip home in 2014.READ MORE: Oakland Surgeon Convicted of Child Sex Crimes Gets 16-Year Prison Term
MUNI: Cable cars, Muni trains, buses are all free 8:00 pm through 5am Wednesday, January 1st. Clipper Card customers should not tap their cards.
- Extra 1-California Route service inbound from 9:40 pm to 11:15 pm and outbound from 10:10 pm to 1:40 am.
- Muni Metro service between West Portal and Embarcadero stations extended to 4 a.m. and until 2:15 a.m. to 4th and King street.
- Extra Owl service (1 a.m. to 5 a.m.): 5 Fulton, 14 Mission, 22 Fillmore, 24 Divisadero, 38 Geary, 90 and 91 Owl and the L and N Owl bus routes.
- Service on the F Market historic streetcar line is provided by buses after approximately 4 p.m.
CALTRAIN: Free after 8:00 p.m. Final New Year’s train departs from the 4th and King Street Station at 2:15 a.m. on Jan. 1 or earlier if the train is at capacity.
SAMTRANS: Free after 8 p.m.
BART: Normal fares. Additional service until approximately 3 a.m., Jan. 1. After 8 p.m. BART service to and from the East Bay will be separated between Embarcadero and Montgomery stations. Pittsburg/Bay Point and Richmond trains will depart from Montgomery Station only. Dublin/Pleasanton and Fremont trains will depart from Embarcadero Station only. Daly City and Millbrae trains will depart from Montgomery Station. Passengers going to SFO Airport from Embarcadero Station will need to transfer to an airport train at Balboa Park. SFO passengers may also enter BART at Montgomery for a direct SFO Airport train.
SANTA CLARA VTA: Free service on all light rail and bus lines from 8 p.m. December 31 to 5 a.m. January 1. Extended light rail and 181 service on New Year’s Eve and into New Year’s Day:
Light Rail (Alum Rock- Santa Teresa and Mountain View-Winchester lines)
- Last trip leaving Santa Teresa at 1:53 a.m.
- Last trip leaving Alum Rock at 1:33 a.m.
- Last trip leaving Winchester at 1:12 a.m.
- Last trip leaving Mountain View at 10:51 p.m.
- Last trip leaving Baypointe at 1:27 a.m.
- Express Line 180/181 (to the Fremont BART Station)
- Last Northbound bus leaving Diridon Station at 2:04 a.m. arriving at Fremont BART at 2:47 a.m.
- Last Southbound bus leaving Fremont BART at 3:04 a.m. arriving at 2nd & Santa Clara at 3:40 a.m. (Does not go to the Diridon Station)
AC TRANSIT: Normal schedules Tuesday. “Sunday” schedules will be in effect for Wednesday, January 1st, 2014. Also, due to an event, the bus lanes at Fruitvale BART will be closed from 12:01 a.m. until 6:00 p.m., Wednesday, January 1, 2014. During this time, AC Transit buses will not serve the regular stops at Fruitvale BART. Board at the following alternative stop locations:
AMTRAK: Tuesday, 12/31/2013 trains are as scheduled. Trains are on a holiday schedule, Wednesday, January 1st.
ACE TRAIN: Reduced Service on Tuesday: Westbound (AM Trains): ACE 01 and ACE 03. Eastbound (PM Trains): ACE 04 and ACE 06
In addition, ACE headquarters, ticketing kiosks and train service will not be available on on New Years Day, January 1st.
FERRY SERVICE:Concord City Council Moves Forward With Plans to Develop Former Naval Weapons Station
Copyright 2013 and 2014 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.