SACRAMENTO (CBS / AP) — The Democratic leader of the state Senate is calling on Sen. Leland Yee to resign after being indicted on federal corruption and firearms charges.
At a news conference Wednesday, Senate President Pro Tem Darrell Steinberg of Sacramento warned that fellow Democrats will immediately suspend the San Francisco Democrat unless he steps down.READ MORE: VIDEO: Space X Launch Lights Up Pre-Dawn Sky; Crew Headed Toward Space Station
Follow Our Related Coverage
- Raw Video: State Senators React To Leland Yee Arrest
- Raw Video: Sen. Yee In Custody
- Yee’s Alleged Ties to Gun Traffickers, Muslim Rebels, And Russian Arms Suppliers
- Who is Raymond “Shrimp Boy” Chow?
- Arrest Is Latest Curveball For State Dems
- San Francisco Mayor Lee “Shocked”
- Yee: Effective Lawmaker Dogged By Controversy
The warning comes hours after Yee was arrested and appeared in federal court.READ MORE: UPDATE: Police Activity Cleared On Eastbound Lanes Of Bay Bridge; Commute Traffic Brings To Flow
An affidavit unsealed Wednesday accuses Yee of accepting tens of thousands of dollars to peddle state influence and conspiring to illegally import firearms.
Steinberg says the allegations are shocking and create “a huge cloud” over the Senate. Yee is the third Senate Democrat embroiled in criminal charges this year, including corruption and voter fraud.
Steinberg says their actions do not reflect on other senators.MORE NEWS: Rising Sea Level Threatens Stinson Beach Neighborhoods
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.