SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — A male transient who previously pleaded guilty to assaulting police officers in Palo Alto was arraigned Thursday on murder charges stemming from the Feb. 6 stabbing death of a man at Cesar Chavez Park in downtown San Jose, police said Thursday.

The Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office has filed murder charges against Ryan Goodson, 34, in the slaying of 26-year-old Jason Rosario, who was also homeless, Santa Clara County Assistant District Attorney Marc Buller said.

READ MORE: Woman Arrested For Anti-Asian Attacks In Mountain View

He declined to enter a plea today and is next due in court on April 10.

Goodson was formally charged while being held in the county jail after pleading guilty to assaulting several Palo Alto police officers about 15 hours after the stabbing, Buller said.

Rosario was found at about 12:20 a.m. suffering from a stab wound and taken to a hospital but succumbed to his injuries shortly thereafter, police said.

Police said that after he allegedly stabbed Rosario, Goodson got into a fight with Palo Alto police who responded to reports that he was exhibiting bizarre behavior including jumping through a window at a closed hookah bar in downtown Palo Alto.

A Palo Alto police officer found him outside The Hookah Spot at 235 University Ave. bleeding from his head after apparently jumping through a glass window there.

When the officer told him to stop, Goodson allegedly attacked him and grabbed the officer’s gun and pointed it at him while it was still in the holster, according to police.

READ MORE: Social Housing May Be A Fix For San Francisco's Housing Affordability Crisis

While he was fumbling with the trigger, the officer tackled Goodson to the ground and Goodson allegedly bit him in the shoulder, police said.

Other officers arrived and one used a stun gun to subdue him, but despite that and the officers handcuffing him he continued to struggle and was put in leg restraints as well.

He suffered moderate injuries to his head and mouth from jumping through the window, according to police. Goodson’s mugshot from that day shows him with swelling and scabs on his left eye.

Buller said today that Goodson pleaded guilty to the attack and is expected to receive a sentence of eight years in prison.

In a statement, Lt. Michael Kihmm of the Police Department’s homicide unit, praised patrol officers who answered the call about the stabbing for preserving evidence at the crime scene that “was crucial in the identification of the suspect and resulted in building a solid case.”

“This is especially notable because the homicide occurred in the middle of the night during a heavy rainstorm,” Kihmm stated.

MORE NEWS: UPDATE: Police Arrest Suspect After Knife-Wielding Man Flees 2-Alarm Apartment Fire In San Francisco's Castro

© Copyright 2014 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.