STOCKTON (CBS-13) — A Stockton man claims he got severely sick and lost nearly 30 pounds in one week after swimming at the Woodward Reservoir in Stanislaus County.
Luiz Lopez’s near death-experience sent him to the hospital where he experienced a 107 degree fever and a complete loss of appetite.READ MORE: Armed Bike Thieves Targeting Cyclists in the East Bay Hills
“I couldn’t move, I couldn’t look around,” Lopez said. “I was a zombie.”
Lopez said his doctors at Kaiser Manteca figured out it was a waterborne bacteria that made him sick — a bacteria so dangerous, they’d have to notify the proper authorities.
On Monday, there were plenty of swimmers in the Oakdale reservoir. One mother remained unfazed even after CBS-13 told her about Lopez.
“They swallow water every time they swim; they’re fine,” said Nelia Chiley.READ MORE: COVID Vaccines: Contra Costa Drop-In Sites End Frustration Among Those Struggling To Find Appointments
“It’s not safe. They should have it posted everywhere,” Lopez said.
CBS-13 found two signs, one on a bulletin board and another by the bathrooms, warning of unusually high bacteria in the water and advising “Swim at your own risk.” But it’s not clear when they were posted.
The director of the Stanislaus County county’s environmental resources and parks and recreation, who runs the reservoir, said an investigation will happen if and when they get a report from the Centers For Disease Control or the California Department of Public Health.
Until then, there are no restriction.MORE NEWS: COVID Reopening: San Francisco Allows For Small Indoor Gatherings Among Fully Vaccinated
A Kaiser spokesman told CBS13 he couldn’t comment on the situation. The CDC did not respond to a request for an interview on Monday.