ALAMEDA (CBS SF) — A Sunday structure fire in Alameda displaced four families, injured a firefighter and killed a dog, fire officials said.

Firefighters responded at 5:28 p.m. to a residential structure fire at a two-story building in the 1100 block of Regent Street, according to the Alameda Fire Department.

READ MORE: Willow Fire Grows To 1,800 Acres Near Big Sur, Evacuations Ordered

Fire officials said the fire started in a second-floor unit. All of the people living in the building evacuated before firefighters arrived, but two dogs were trapped in the burning unit.

One of the dogs was killed, and the other was treated by a pet specialist and is expected to survive.

Fire officials said one firefighter suffered a non life-threatening injury while fighting the blaze and was transported to the hospital.

None of the residents were injured.

READ MORE: Brush Fire Burns 20 Acres Near Fairfield, Temporarily Closes Southbound Lanes of I-680

Firefighters were able to confine the fire to one unit, but that unit saw severe fire damage, and two other units saw water damage and minor
fire damage.

In all, 27 firefighters were called in to put out the blaze.

Investigators said the fire started after food was left unattended on a stove. From there, the fire spread to combustible items in the kitchen.

The American Red Cross has responded to assist the displaced families.

MORE NEWS: San Francisco Police Arrest 1 Suspect in Brutal Beating of Asian-American UPS Driver

© Copyright 2014 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.