CHICAGO (CBS SF)— Excuses for calling in sick to your job can range from the mundane and ordinary (like a flu call-in) to the more outlandish or wild.
CareerBuilder, has been keeping track through a survey and has released some of the strangest reasons employees have given for sicking out. Without further ado, here are ‘The Most Unbelievable Excuses for Calling In Sick’. Our favorite: #5. What’s yours?
When asked to share the most dubious excuses employees have given for calling in sick, employers reported hearing the following real-life examples:
- Employee just put a casserole in the oven.
- Employee’s plastic surgery for enhancement purposes needed some “tweaking” to get it just right.
- Employee was sitting in the bathroom and her feet and legs fell asleep. When she stood, up she fell and broke her ankle.
- Employee had been at the casino all weekend and still had money left to play with on Monday morning.
- Employee woke up in a good mood and didn’t want to ruin it.
- Employee had a “lucky night” and didn’t know where he was.
- Employee got stuck in the blood pressure machine at the grocery store and couldn’t get out.
- Employee had a gall stone they wanted to heal holistically.
- Employee caught their uniform on fire by putting it in the microwave to dry.
- Employee accidentally got on a plane.
You should also beware of the consequences of posting on social media if you use on of these or any of the more traditional excuses for calling in. CareerBuilder says one in four employers have caught an employee faking sick through social media and one in five have fired an employee for calling in sick with a fake excuse.