REDWOOD CITY (CBS SF) — A San Mateo County jury Wednesday found a 36-year-old San Francisco man guilty of attempting to bring marijuana aboard a flight at the San Francisco International Airport last year, prosecutors said.
Enrico Dasig Esguerra of San Francisco, was caught carrying three-and-a-half pounds of marijuana while trying to catch a flight to the Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport on June 12, 2013.
Esguerra had a medical marijuana card with him and told police his doctor recommended he have up to 15 pounds of marijuana for his needs, according to prosecutors.
Prosecutors said he told police he voraciously ate marijuana and the three pounds he had was for his personal use, according to Bay City News.
Esguera’s attorney, Yan Shrayberman told CBS Sf, “My client never said that he “voraciously ate marijuana.” That simply is false. I don’t know why the DA’s office spokesperson would say something that is patently false. During the trial, my client took the stand and explained that he cooks with marijuana, making cannabutter and oil extracts with marijuana. Because of the large quantities needed to make cannabutter and infuse the oil, he brought 3.5 lbs with him on the trip.”
Following five days of trial in the courtroom of Superior Court Judge Richard Livermore, the jury found Esguerra guilty of felony possession of marijuana for sale and felony transportation of marijuana, according to prosecutors.
He is out on $15,000 bail and scheduled to be sentenced on Jan. 30.
Shrayberman said his client is planning to ask for a new trial and appeal the jury’s decision.
TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.
- Viral Video Of Texas Road Rage Incident Gets ‘Star Wars’ Treatment
- Kim Kardashian-West Talks Sexuality, Family Life, Caitlyn Jenner In San Francisco Commonwealth Club Interview
- N. California Woman Seeks Couple She Snapped Getting Engaged On The Eiffel Tower
- ‘Jimmy Kimmel’ Goes To Oakland For Warriors Edition Of ‘Lie Witness News’
- ‘Roaracle’ Is The Loudest NBA Arena, But Could All That Noise Affect Your Hearing?
- Watch Stephen Curry Rapping As A College Student In Recently Uncovered Video