SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A 32-year-old man has died after being shot multiple times in the parking lot of a police station in San Francisco Sunday evening after displaying erratic behavior and confronting officers with what turned out to be a fake gun, police said.
Around 5:20 p.m., police noticed a man who was inside the Mission District police station parking lot, located at Valencia and 17th streets, said Officer Albie Esparza. Esparza said the parking lot is restricted and is not open to the public.
Three police sergeants approached the man and asked him to leave, Esparza said. He began to walk away but stopped before reaching the parking lot entrance at Valencia Street and turned to confront the officers.
Still facing the sergeants, Esparza said the man began to back away while also reaching his hands into his waistband, revealing the butt of a gun.
“The sergeants saw the butt of the weapon as he pulls it out and brandihes it at the sergeants,” Esparza said.
Two of the sergeants fired their weapon at the man, striking him multiple times, he said.
He was transported to San Francisco General Hospital, where he underwent surgery, but police said he has since died.
Esparza described the suspect as a 32-year-old white man.
Police discovered later that he was carrying an airsoft gun, which can shoot pellets, but not bullets, Esparza said.
“We don’t know his motive or why he challenged the officers or approached them in the first place,” Esparza said. “It was very erratic behavior by the suspect, very unusual.”
- Viral Video Of Texas Road Rage Incident Gets ‘Star Wars’ Treatment
- Kim Kardashian-West Talks Sexuality, Family Life, Caitlyn Jenner In San Francisco Commonwealth Club Interview
- N. California Woman Seeks Couple She Snapped Getting Engaged On The Eiffel Tower
- ‘Jimmy Kimmel’ Goes To Oakland For Warriors Edition Of ‘Lie Witness News’
- ‘Roaracle’ Is The Loudest NBA Arena, But Could All That Noise Affect Your Hearing?
- Watch Stephen Curry Rapping As A College Student In Recently Uncovered Video
© Copyright 2015 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.